My life - from the impact of great loss, to a refreshing new take on life and a place where I now share ............... my favorite Plant Strong recipes....

Friday, October 15, 2010

Pork Loin – Cinnamon Style

Trader Joe’s had a great price on Pork Loin yesterday, so I decided to surprise Jeff with one of my dinner experiments. I’m sure there are recipes out there somewhere similar to this – I just never seem to take the time to look for them. Anyway, dinner turned out fabulous so I thought I would share a very casual recipe with you. I’m not one to use measurements, but with these ingredients I don’t think it matters much.

I didn’t think to take a picture, but I have to admit, it sure turned out pretty!

In a gallon ziploc bag I added the following ingredients:


Fresh garlic – chopped
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Allspice
Brown Rice Flour (about ¼ cup)


I played with the bag to mix it thoroughly, and then added the pork loin to the bag, played with it some more until the loin was completely coated with the mixture.

Then I seared the loin on all sides in my hot cast iron skillet with a little bit of butter. This only took a few minutes, then I removed the loin and set it into a 9x13.

Next I added a sweet onion (sliced) and a couple gala apples (chunked, skin removed) to the hot pan. I LOVE how cast iron sears for nice crisp edges. I didn’t cook them completely, but just long enough to give them some brown edges.  Cast iron is also fun for the sizzle sound factor... my family is always impressed!

I then spooned the onion/apple mix over the pork (mmm…  golden raisins would be good tossed in here, and maybe a few pine nuts). I then poured the remaining seasonings from the bag over the top. I covered the pan with aluminum foil and baked at 400 for about 40 minutes. I then removed the foil and baked for another 10 minutes or so, just to dry out the edges a bit.

What resulted was a wonderful, juicy, flavorful festive fall meal that we will have to do again soon. I had some homemade applesauce going while it was baking, along with a vegie mix ( cooked in the same cast iron, as it was just sitting there…) of fresh green beans, zuchinni (yes, both from the garden), onion and turkey bacon seasoned with pepper and garlic.


It didn’t take long, it was easy, and even the cleanup was simple.
Let me know if you decide to try it, or have a similar recipe that you enjoy ;o)

1 comment:

kmoschetti said...

Mmmmm...this sounds delicious Celeste!!! I am assuming that was some famous Granny Applesauce that you made. Sounds sooooo good!!!!